WHMCS Account Takeover Fraud Solution: Web hosting platforms are a treasure found for hackers and fraudsters because Web Host Manager Complete Solution (WHMCS) holds consumer’s sensitive data. WHMCS manages web hosting control panel credentials, and customer personal billing data is a treasure for fraudsters.
From Dark Web portals, fraudsters procure breached databases to perform the credential stuffing attack on WHMCS. The accounts can also send authentic-seeming spam and phishing messages to consumers via the WHMCS portal, and attackers gain access to different configured platforms such as cPanel, Direct Admin Panel, sensitive support tickets information, etc.
AuthSafe talked with 50 WHMCS company executives globally and what we found was in some ways expected but also surprising. At the same time, most of the web hosting business was not solving the problem of ATOs. Many were underestimating the amount and total cost of ATOs targeting their users. It is critical for executives of the WHMCS to work together to suppress the threat of account takeover attacks.
Impact of Account Takeover Attacks:
For example, a successful account takeover of the admin account will provide full access to the customer list and destroy the entire business by deleting the user base. Successful account takeover attacks may impact brand reputation, negative news headlines, and increased regulatory scrutiny.
What can you do to stop account takeover?
The negative impact of an account takeover attack is followed by fraudulent transactions, stolen payment details, and increased chargeback. That’s why it’s better to focus on protecting WHMCS authentication from a fraudster, and this will help stop ATOs before they happen.
Stoping WHMCS Account Takeover Fraud without disturbing the user’s experience will lead your success path. Below are techniques that fraudsters use to perform ATOs.
- Identify the headless browsers and automated tools that use TOR, VPN, Proxies, Datacenter IPs, High-Risk ISPs, IP used by malware.
- We monitor the login activity and patterns that show sudden hikes on various User agents, IP addresses, and browser fingerprinting.
- Identify if consumer’s credentials leaked in a database breach.
- Implementation of 2FA – However, we recommend this last option as it is friction on authentication.
How AuthSafe stop the WHMCS Account takeover?
AuthSafe Cognitive Engine Helps End-users, Protecting from Online Fraud Attacks. The cognitive engine’s model gets trained from end-users, separates good users & bad users, and provides real-time solutions to detect and prevent online fraud attacks.
- WHMCS Credential stuffing detection: Most account takeovers today stem from credential stuffing, where an attacker rotates through lists of leaked credentials, probing for ones that work. AuthSafe identifies the source signature of an attack in real-time, blocking malicious login attempts even when the credentials were valid
- WHMCS Rate Limits: We have implemented rate limits on authentication based on the velocity of requests.
- Bruteforce attack : A brute-force attack comprises any hacker submitting en number of credentials hoping to eventually gain access to the user account. AuthSafe restricts the number of attempts making it hard for the hacker to gain the account credentials.
- Fast Travel detection: This recognition detects two client activities during single or multiple sessions starting from geologically far-off areas within a select time frame more limited than the time it would have taken the client to go from the primary area to the second, showing that an alternate client or different person is utilizing the same credentials.
- Suspicious Behaviour : Every user has specific virtual behavior. Monitoring the user’s behavior is the key—any astounding blend of activities that haven’t been seen previously. AuthSafe instantly recognizes any suspicious or skeptical user activity such as flow constraint or multiple login attempts. This impedes any subsequent pursuits.
- IP Address Threat Profile: Before providing access to the users, IP threat profiling features ensure IP addresses do not pose high-risk IP addresses. AuthSafe detects TOR, Bad VPN, Bad ISPs, and datacenter IP addresses.